Sunday Salon: It's good to be home

It's been a quiet week around here, but after this amazing weekend, I finally feel like I'm back in a groove for reading, blogging and relaxing.

Reading:
I expected February to be a hectic reading month, but it has been even more hectic than I imagined. As a judge for the Indie Lit Awards in the Fiction category I'm busy reading the finalists, but I can't share my thoughts on those titles with you until the winner is announced in early March. You all know part of the joy I find in reading is sharing the books with friends, so I'm grateful for the discussions with my fellow judges in the meantime!

I'm also serving as a juror for Elle magazine's Reader's Prize for the May 2012 issue. With their publication schedule, I'm submitting my reviews this week. The titles I've read for them are The Red Book by Deborah Copaken Kogan, The Beginner's Goodbye by Anne Tyler, and The New Republic by Lionel Shriver. It's been fun reading these three titles, and I'm eager to see how my fellow jurors will rank them. I'll be posting my reviews closer to their publication dates in late March and early April.

I'm also thoroughly enjoying The Silent Oligarch by Christopher Morgan Jones and Gillespie and I by Jane Harris. I'll be reviewing both for TLC Tours in the next two weeks. After all of these commitments, I'm really looking forward to a few weeks of leisurely reading before the Orange Prize longlist is announced! I've been working on my predictions for this year's longlist too, so look for those in early to mid-March.

Blogging:
Given these time-sensitive review commitments, I anticipated the blog looking a little lighter this month, but I hoped to be able to read some other things in addition to review titles. So far, it hasn't happened, but I do still have a couple of lingering reviews from January. Both books were excellent, but I still find myself grappling with them. I plan to review both We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver and The Fallback Plan by Leigh Stein this week.

Relaxing:
I also realized how much I miss going to see films. Since we moved to Iowa last summer, I've been to the theater only three times. Some of my absence is due to the beautiful flat screen television we bought when we moved (Mr. Nomadreader refused to move the big-backed television across the country again, and I welcomed the excuse to get rid of the old television!) It is wonderful to watch tv shows and films in HD at home. But it's film award season, and there are so many films I'm eager to see. Yesterday I went to see Best Picture front-runner The Artist, and I'll be reviewing it Wednesday. Today I'll also be watching The Help from the comfort of my own couch. I wasn't wild about the book (my review), but I have a feeling I'll enjoy the film move than the book. I'm hoping to continue this pattern each week: one film in the theater and one at home.

I'm looking forward to a day of reading, film watching and relaxing. What are you doing this Sunday?

As an affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

  1. I have been doing my own hectic reading, though mine is completely self-inflicted. I've read five of the Tournament of Books contenders since mid-December, and I have an avalanche more coming in all the time. I'm wrapping up Swamplandia! and I have Open City and The Tiger's Wife waiting in the wings. I also expect The Cat's Table to come in to my library's Overdrive service any time now.

    Your reading sounds WONDERFUL but I can imagine you would start itching for some self-chosen recreational books. :)

    I haven't been watching too many films lately myself. I did watch Midnight in Paris last weekend and reviewed it this past week. Loved it! I'm looking forward to your review of The Artist this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andi- Wow you're really zooming on your ToB reading! I've still read the eight I'd read before they were announced but hope to sneak some in soon. I'm eager to see Midnight in Paris soon, even though I don't normally like Woody Allen movies. The setting and premise sound absolutely divine!

      Delete
  2. You are reading a lot of fun books! I have been going through the ILA list too, and am halfway through! Glad you had a fun weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aths - you're ahead of me with ILA books then! I hope to be caught up by the end of the week!

      Delete
  3. There's so much to look forward to on this blog: your reviews for Elle, your review for The Fallback Plan, and your Orange Prize predictions. Good luck with all of your reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are busy! I can't wait to hear your thoughts on We Need to Talk About Kevin. It is one of those books that takes awhile to process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, yes I'm still processing it, even after reading Shriver's forthcoming novel. There's so much in there. I hope I can write a review to do my feelings justice.

      Delete
  5. I am a bit late with my movies... I just saw Black Swan which has been on my list since last year's Oscars! I have Midnight in Paris, but haven't watched it yet. Can't wait.

    You are so busy with all of your reading! I remember reading all of the books for last year's Lit Fiction category and it was tough to get them all read in time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ti, I loved Black Swan! I'm eager to see Midnight in Paris too. So many movies, so little time, right?

      Delete
  6. Wow sounds like you've been busy busy with commitments!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

Sea State by Tabitha Lasley