Sunday Salon: Hello again

Hello! It's been quiet around here for longer than I wish. Perhaps next year I'll remember this lesson and announce a small break before classes start and my work-life balance (temporarily) loses any sense of balance. Also, remind me not to take the first two weeks of August as vacation. I've missed my small corner of the blogosphere and am excited to get back to normal around here. I have, as usual, a bit of a review backlog. There are six books left to review and five films to review. I'll be sharing those with you in the next few weeks. Additionally, here are some bookish things I'm really looking forward to in the coming weeks (and months):

  • The Booker Prize shortlist will be announced Tuesday. I haven't made nearly as much progress reading the longlist as I'd like (I've only managed three and a half of the twelve), but I still hope to at least finish the shortlist before the winner is announced on October 16. So far, I'm rooting for Swimming Home, which I'll be reviewing on Wednesday.
  • The National Book Award nominees will be announced October 10. I always love reading the five fiction nominees and being in the conversation of what was left out, what shouldn't be included, and what it all means about the state of American fiction.
  • The fall Dewey's Readathon will be October 13. It starts at 7 a.m. Iowa time and goes for 24 hours. The readathon is always so much fun, and I'm already making piles of books to read. I like to surround myself with books shorter than 300 pages and have a mix of historical, mystery, contemporary, diverse settings, and nonfiction. As the date gets closer, I'll share my piles and plans. As I have neither the desire nor the ability to actually read for 24 hours, this year I'm thinking of attempting two 12-hour days. The second day won't be as fun without the other readers, but I think it would still be delightful.
I'm off to spend my day reading The Forgetting Tree by Tatjana Soli, which I'll be reviewing here tomorrow. Happy Sunday!


As an affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

  1. This time of year is crazy isn't it! My work life balance was non-existent last week. I hope things settle down for both of us soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam, it's nice to be in good company. I hope our lives re-balance soon too!

      Delete
  2. Just stopped by to say Hi. I am not on a break of any kind (so wish I was!) but I have been so busy at work that last week was a bit of a blur for me. I am spending some time today trying to touch base with my favorite bloggers.

    Reading... I am still reading Andrew McCarthy's memoir which is really pretty good and perfect for my mood right now. I am still plugging along with IT as well. I need something else to break it up though. Plus, I have several reviews to write which haven't found their way to my computer yet.

    However, it's fall and it's still 100+ degrees where I am but I am embracing it and hoping for a slower pace soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Ti! I will look forward to your review of McCarthy's memoir. I grew up a huge fan of his and met him in a NYC diner more than ten years ago. He was so nice.

      I hope it cools down for you too. I'm so ready for fall weather!

      Delete
  3. That's a really good idea for the Readathon! I may steal it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carin, please feel free to steal it! It just makes more sense for me to attempt 7-7 for two days;-)

      Delete
  4. I'm rooting for The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry. I actually haven't read anything from the long list yet, but I am somehow drawn to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm reading that now but have stalled out. I like it, but I don't seem to be in a hurry to finish it. I hope you make time for it!

      Delete
  5. I have been such a bad blogger, but there has been lots going on and I am reading so I guess that's a good thing. Hope the new school year goes well for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, you can join my bad blogger club! I'm glad you're finding time to read. I hope the new school year goes well for you too!

      Delete
  6. I'm rooting for The Teleportation Accident!

    I can't do the 24 hour readathon on the official weekend as I'm at the local literature festival but hopefully I'll be able to just defer it to the following weekend. Not sure if I'll do it as two 12 hour days or one 24 hour burst though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, I'm eager to read Teleportation. It may be the next one I dip into.

      I had to miss the spring readathon, so I'm glad to be able to mostly participate this time!

      Delete
  7. I am excited that Jeet Thayil's Narcopolis made it to the list. I want to try reading the other shortlisted books, except for Mantel's whose first book I didn't read yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aths, I need to make time for Narcopolis. I had to return it to the library before I could read it. I still haven't read Wolf Hall either but plan to soon.

      Delete
  8. I like your idea to do two 12-hour days. I'm definitely going to participate, but I just found out I have to be at something from 6:30 to 10:30 the night of the 13th, which seriiously cuts into my reading time. I was thinking about reading on both Saturday and Sunday. Maybe we can buddy read on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

Sea State by Tabitha Lasley