Another Happy Thanksgiving!


As I read back on last year's Thanksgiving post, I was struck by how little has changed (and what a first for me to be in the same place doing the same thing two years in a row!) I'm still up early to watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. I'm enjoying my coffee, waiting for Mr. Nomadreader to wake up, and hoping I have enough time to finish The Middlesteins by Jami Attenberg before he does.

Soon we'll open up a bottle of sparkling wine to truly toast this annual tradition. There are once again cinnamon rolls in the oven, but this year they're paleo cinnamon rolls to correspond with our new eating lifestyle (and by new, I mean five months and counting.)

In a few hours, my parents and my grandmother will arrive for Thanksgiving dinner. Mr. Nomadreader is once again slow roasting pork shoulder, a far tastier option than turkey.

Tonight we'll be putting up our Christmas trees (yes, two people in a one bedroom can have two trees!)

Most importantly, I'm still thankful for Mr. Nomadreader, my job, this blog (and all of you who take the time to read it), our apartment, and winter--my favorite season. This year, I'm also thankful for an earlier than usual Thanksgiving holiday and thus, a longer than usual Christmas season!

Thankfully Reading Weekend

After dinner, I hope to sneak in a few hours with my next read, Billy Lynn's Halftime Walk, which is set on Thanksgiving Day. The rest of this holiday weekend I'll be reading along with Jenn's Thankfully Reading Weekend. I've started perfecting my list of books I want to finish before the end of 2012, and I'll be digging into that list to see how much progress I can make before announcing the list. I'm also hoping (fingers crossed) to finally get caught up on writing reviews so I can end 2012 fully caught up and start fresh in 2013. Lastly, I've started working on both my Best of 2012 list and my 2013 reading goals. It's fun to think of the books I'm most thankful for this year, as there hasn't been a runaway favorite read in 2012 as there was in 2011 (State of Wonder), 2010 (Room), or 2008 (American Wife). There have, however, been many memorable reads and many new authors I've discovered and devoured (Alafair Burke!)

Now tell me: what book are you most thankful for this year?

As an affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

  1. Stopping by to wish you a wonderful Thanksgiving with the special people in your life. I count you and other bloggers in the things I am thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane! I'm so grateful for our book discussions too:-)

      Delete
  2. I love your traditions! I am going to try to focus on reading next year what I have really been wanting, so American Wife will be on that list! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh: I need to re-read American Wife sometime soon too. Enjoy!

      Delete
  3. I think that is a tradition you have now!! It sounds like a good one … and I hope you get to repeat it next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks, Alafair! One thing I will always remember about 2012 is as the year I read all of your books (one more to go!)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

Sea State by Tabitha Lasley