book review: Think Like a Freak by Steven D. Levitt & Stephen J. Dubner

The backstory: Think Like a Freak is the latest book collaboration of Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner. I've previously adored Freakonomics (read before this blog) and Superfreakonomics (my review.)

The basics: Think Like a Freak is a glimpse into a different way of thinking. What it lacks in extensive statistical evaluation, it makes up for in terms of anecdotes and process.

My thoughts: In many ways, Think Like a Freak is somewhat of a departure from the first two Levitt and Dubner books. It's written in a very similar style, and as I read I felt as though I was privy to a casual conversation between the two. The book itself is broken up into chapters, each with a different lesson of how to think like a freak.

While this book lacked many of the wow moments I so loved about the first Freakonomics, it's lessons are wise and interesting. I read this book quickly (in only a few hours), and I was fascinated as I compulsively read. Even a few days later, however, I'm struck by how few specific tidbits have stuck with me. Part of this result stems from the fact that some of these lessons of thinking like a freak are evident from having read their first two books, reading their blog and listening to the podcast over the years. In some ways, this book lacks the newness of the first two books. Instead it excels at putting a lot of wisdom in one place. It's likely not a coincidence that the book's release coincides nicely with graduation season. This book would make a wonderful gift for new graduates.

The verdict: While I prefer to read about freakonomics in action more, Think Like a Freak was a fascinating glimpse into the thinking processes behind freakonomics. It has many worthy lessons and quite a few memorable tidbits to satisfy those, like me, who are hungry for more freakonomics.

Rating: 4 out of 5
Length: 293 pages
Publication date: May 12, 2014
Source: publisher

Convinced? Treat yourself! Buy Think Like a Freak from an independent bookstore, the Book Depository or Amazon (Kindle edition.)

Want more? Visit the Freakonomics website.

As an affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson