book review: Law of Attraction by Allison Leotta

The basics: Law of Attraction introduces Anna Curtis, a driven, bright young lawyer whose dark family history in Michigan causes her to prosecute domestic violence crimes in D.C.

My thoughts: I gravitate to mystery series about female lawyers written by female lawyers (see: Alafair Burke, Linda Fairstein, and Marcia Clark. I've read all of their books.) Like Anna, Leotta worked as a federal prosecutor handling domestic violence in D.C. Anna is new to her job, and the reader gets to learn about it along with her. She's also new to D.C., and I appreciated her realistically humble apartment and utter lack of work-life balance. I found Anna to be a particularly interesting character because she isn't perfect. She makes mistakes. She makes tough choices. She doubts herself in realistic ways rather than in annoying ones. She's flawed but still inspiring, and I found myself both rooting for her and wanting to be her friend.

Law of Attraction balances introducing and developing its casts of characters with a compelling mystery. I particularly appreciated the realistic passage of time as events unfolded. It added a sense of normalcy while still allowing the major events to shine. Anna is such a realistic character that months can pass without major changes in her life.

The verdict: Law of Attraction is a satisfying, suspenseful mystery, a wonderful introduction of a dynamic character, and an insightful look into the work of a federal prosecutor in domestic violence. If the next two books are as good, I'll be caught up before the fourth volume, A Good Killing, comes out in May.

Rating: 4 out of 5
Length: 288 pages
Publication date: October 12, 2010
Source: Scribd

Convinced? Treat yourself! Buy Law of Attraction from Amazon (Kindle edition.)

Want more? Visit Allison Leotta's website, like her on Facebook, and follow her on Twitter.

As an affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

  1. This is an author that I've meant to read. Putting LAW OF ATTRACTION on my list. I like the authors you've mentioned too. Well, I haven't read Marcia Clark yet, but still. Mean to. LOL

    Do you like Lisa Scottoline? I've enjoyed her women's law firm books. They aren't prosecutors though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not read Lisa Scottoline. I'll check her out once I finish racing through Leotta's! Thanks for the suggestion.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

Sea State by Tabitha Lasley