sunday salon: week in review

Currently reading: Dead to the World by Charlaine Harris. It's the fourth book in the Sookie Stackhouse series. It's also the first one I've read since starting to watch True Blood on dvd, so I'm curious to see if the reading experience changes. Club Dead was my least favorite in the series, and so far, Sookie is getting on my nerves like she did in that book. I'm hoping the action picks up soon!
Finished this week:
I had a fantastic week of reading. I read nine books this week, but one was a children's graphic novel and five were easy readers. I posted the five easy reader reviews as part of my 2008 Cybils Easy Reader feature. Look for reviews of these four books this week:
  • Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger
  • Earthly Pleasures by Karen Neches
  • Empowered by Sheryl Ellinwood
  • Diary of a Wimpy Kid #2: Rodrick Rules by Jeff Kinney
Book Received for Review this week:
  • The Postmistress by Sarah Blake 
Watching on tv:
I finally started watching Brick City, the 5-part Sundance documentary that aired in September. For one year, cameras followed Newark mayor Cory Booker, as well as the Newark Chief of Police, and a former Blood and a Crip who are now a couple. The first hour was mesmerizing and emotional. I was moved to tears and felt goosebumps at the possibility of real change. It's beautiful to see the community come together, but it's also heart-wrenching to watch the failures. It's not necessarily a feel good documentary, but it is inspiring. I'll post a full review when I watch the next four hours. It's coming out on dvd in December. 

Coolest effect of having a book blog:
This email from my father, a United Methodist pastor: "Just for your information, Kari and Lucas make an appearance at First Church in my sermon today.  Thanks for alerting me to their adventures and, more pertinent to the sermon, their friendship." I loved The Mystery of the Third Lucretia by Susan Runholt, and my parents both read it after reading my review. It's pretty cool to see the impact of a children's mystery on adults.

Comments

  1. I'll be interested in your review of Her Fearful Symmetry. My reaction was a bit complicated-- there were things I loved, and parts that didn't work for me at all!

    Dead to the World was my favorite Sookie book so far (I'm currently listening to #6), but I'm pretty sure it isn't for everyone. I also liked Club Dead :-).

    I had The Mystery of the Third Lucretia in my Amazon cart, and couldn't remember why. I think it was your review-- I guess I'll put it back :-).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson