book thoughts: The Boyfriend Project by Farrah Rochon


The backstory: The Boyfriend Project was one of the May Book of the Month picks. Before that, I'd never heard of it, but it sounded so fun, I added it to my box. Most of the books I pick from Book of the Month are titles I already wanted, but I love when it introduces me to new things.

The basics:  "Samiah Brooks never thought she would be "that" girl. But a live tweet of a horrific date just revealed the painful truth: she's been catfished by a three-timing jerk of a boyfriend. Suddenly Samiah-along with his two other "girlfriends," London and Taylor-have gone viral online. Now the three new besties are making a pact to spend the next six months investing in themselves. No men and no dating."--publisher

My thoughts: This book is filled with fun, friendship, romance, and just the right amount of drama. It manages to be fun and made me feel good, but it also manages to feel real. It's the right combination of real and escapist. I loved the characters, especially Samiah, as we spend most of our time with her. Rochon skillfully takes on sexism and racism in ways that had me fist-bumping the characters. I'm excited this is the first in a series, and I'll be standing in line to read the next one and spend more time in the world of these characters.

Favorite passage: "I learned a long time ago that the key to being in control of your own destiny is to always be prepared, no matter how safe things may feel now."

Rating: 4.5 out of 5
Length: 340 pages
Publication date: June 9, 2020
Source: Book of the Month

Want to read for yourself? Buy The Boyfriend Project from Book of the Month, an independent bookstore or Amazon (Kindle edition.)

As an affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson