book thoughts: These Witches Don't Burn by Isabel Sterling



The backstory: Young adult paranormal is not usually by thing, but lesbian witches in contemporary Salem, Massachusetts most definitely are. I picked this as a Book of the Month add-on last year, but I finally got around to reading it this month.

The basics: The first in a duology (series of two--how refreshing to not have a trilogy!), this novel introduces Hannah, "Hannah's a witch, but not the kind you're thinking of. She's the real deal, an Elemental with the power to control fire, earth, water, and air. But even though she lives in Salem, Massachusetts, her magic is a secret she has to keep to herself. If she's ever caught using it in front of a Reg (read: non-witch), she could lose it. For good. So, Hannah spends most of her time avoiding her ex-girlfriend (and fellow Elemental Witch) Veronica, hanging out with her best friend, and working at the Fly by Night Cauldron selling candles and crystals to tourists, goths, and local Wiccans." (publisher)

My thoughts: You know how you feel like you might enjoy a book more than the average reader because of your predispositions? I think that might be the case with this novel. It has so many elements (pun intended!) that make me happy: it's a feminist, gender-inclusive, coming of age novel focused on a lesbian love story set in contemporary Salem. That description could be written exactly for me. It was an ideal pandemic read though, as it straddles the line of reality and fantasy beautifully. These witches are grounded deeply in reality, but I also found myself they really do keep themselves well enough hidden from Regs like me that I wouldn't know if they did exist. It also manages to deal with some serious issues without every feeling too serious itself, which was also a welcome distraction to the pandemic. Overall, I really enjoyed this book, and I'm looking forward to its sequel, This Coven Won't Break (out now!)

Favorite passage: "She even has books about fictional elementals, stories I've read and secretly loved even though the magic inside is nothing like the truth of my Clan."

Rating: 4 out of 5
Length: 332 pages
Publication date: May 28, 2019 (it's in paperback now)
Source: Book of the Month

Want to read for yourself? Buy These Witches Don't Burn from an independent bookstore, Book of the Month, or Amazon (Kindle edition.)

As an affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson