book thoughts: Rodham by Curtis Sittenfeld


The backstory: Curtis Sittenfeld is one of my favorite writers. I've read and loved all of her books. American Wife, a fictionalization of Laura Bush's life, is one of my all-time favorite novels (and the first one I loved so much I rated it 6 stars out of 5.) When she announced she was writing a novel imagining what might have happened if Hillary Clinton never married Bill Clinton (she famously said no twice in real life), it immediately became the most anticipated novel of the year.

My thoughts: This novel is best enjoyed the less you know about it. Of course, as I read, I kept wondering: will Hillary become president? That is a compelling plot point, for sure, but it's also a deceptively simple question in what is a brilliantly complex novel. This novel is both the story of the life of one woman and the ways in which her life would be similar or different if she didn't marry Bill Clinton. As the story of the life of a fascinating, if sometimes frustrating, person, it is immensely satisfying. But what makes this novel truly extraordinary is Sittenfeld's beautifully rendered alternate history of modern American politics. Those who are well acquainted with the real events will delight in the many realizations of what Sittenfeld chooses to change and what she keeps the same. I was perpetually shook as I read, and this novel will have people talking all year. I finished this novel a couple of months ago, and I can't quit thinking about it. On the surface, it's a simple concept for a novel: Hillary chooses option b, but in its execution, it is extraordinarily complex. 

Favorite passage: "I wouldn't have thought the same person could cause and assuage my pain."

Rating: 5 out of 5
Length: 417 pages
Publication date: May 19, 2020 
Source: publisher

Want to read for yourself? Buy Rodham from an independent bookstore or Amazon (Kindle edition.)  

As an affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson