mini-review: Ten Rules for a Call Girl by Allison Leotta

After enjoying Allison Leotta's first mystery novel featuring Anna Curtis, Law of Attraction, I was eager to continue with this series. Ten Rules for a Call Girl is an e-short story that introduces a character who will appear in the second Anna Curtis mystery, Discretion.

I'm typically wary of this new trend for authors to write e-short stories that take place between novels in a series. For the most part, I think if it's part of the novel, then it should be part of the novel. But this one was free, which made me actually take time to read it between books one and two, and I'm so glad I did, as it allowed me to learn more about the world of high-end call girls in D.C. before reading Discretion.

The concept of Ten Rules for a Call Girl is pretty clever. It slowly unveils the ten rules as the reader gets to know Caroline, a reluctant new high-end call girl. She's also a student at Georgetown University. Ten Rules for a Call Girl is racy and well-written, and Caroline is a fascinating character. There are clear illusions to Elliot Spitzer, and I appreciated Leotta's slyness. It's worth noting Anna Curtis doesn't appear in this e-short story, and as I turned the last page, I found myself hoping Caroline doesn't die at the beginning of Discretion, which deals with the murder of a high-end call girl. Still, after reading Discretion, I don't think this side of the story would fit in its narrative, so an e-short story is the right choice. Thanks to Simon & Schuster, however, for keeping it free.

Rating: 4 out of 5
Length: 55 pages (although the page count includes the first few chapters of Discretion)
Publication date: June 5, 2012
Source: purchased/publisher (it's free!)

Convinced? Treat yourself! Buy (it's free!) Ten Rules for a Call Girl from Amazon (only a Kindle edition.)

Want more? Visit Allison Leotta's websitelike her on Facebook, and follow her on Twitter.

Check back Friday for my review of Discretion.

As an affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

Sea State by Tabitha Lasley