Sunday Salon: BEA & BBC Wrap-up

Living up to being a nomad reader:
I'm back home in Albany after a whirlwind two weeks away. One of my closest friends from college got married in northeast Iowa the weekend before BEA, and Mr. Nomadreader and I drove out for the festivities. We stopped to see a close high school friend in Ohio for a couple of nights, my parents in Des Moines for one night, then spent two nights at the wedding festivities. On the way home, we spent one exhausted night in Buffalo and had sixteen hours at home to unpack, do laundry and repack for New York City. Whew!

New York City:
New York was wonderful. We rented a small studio apartment, through AirBnB, a wonderful site I discovered through the Frugal Traveler. It felt like I was living in New York again because I had an apartment where I could cook my own meals or easily order delivery. It was delightful. The downfall was that I didn't spend

BEA:
Book Expo America (BEA) was delightful, chaotic and overwhelming. I went in with a list of signings I wanted to see. I didn't make it to all of them, and I spent a lot of time waiting in line and meeting wonderful book bloggers, librarians and publishing industry professionals. I focused on getting upcoming books, and I was mostly successful. The one I wished I hadn't missed is the new Steve Martin novel, An Object of Beauty.
As a BEA newbie, I thought I did my research, but I was still lost. As I said, I spent most of my time in autographing lines. I didn't particularly care about getting most things autographed; I wanted the books. I wished I knew that publishers kept extra copies in their booths. Many authors had a few minutes or seconds to chat while they signed, and I really enjoyed that one-on-one communication time. I had a long list of booths to visit and authors to see, but I foolishly wrote down authors and booth numbers, as I assumed every booth would list their number like an address. When they didn't, I had to do some investigation to figure out which authors went with which publishers. Next time, I'll list everything by name instead of number.

The highlights for me were meeting Rob Sheffield, author of Love is a Mix Tape, one of my all-time favorite books and the upcoming Talking to Girls About Duran Duran, and Mo Willems, who signed Knuffle Bunny posters and distributed Knuffle Bunny Free. It was also wonderful to (finally!) get a copy of The Passage by Justin Cronin. He knew who I was and high-fived me at the Random House book. It was divine!

Here are some of the books I picked up:

The PassageCan I Play Too? (An Elephant and Piggie Book)Queenpin: A NovelBury Me Deep: A NovelThe Wolves of Andover: A NovelPictures of YouHiroshima in the MorningThe QuickeningBink and GollieA Fierce Radiance: A NovelThe Wake of ForgivenessThe Wrong BloodHector and the Search for Happiness: A NovelPrisoners in the Palace: A Novel of Intrigue and Romance About How Princess Victoria Became Queen with the Help of a Maid, a Newspaperman, and a ScoundrelTalking to Girls About Duran Duran: One Young Man's Quest for True Love and a Cooler HaircutNemesisThe One That I Want: A NovelGetting to HappyApe House: A Novel

Book Blogger Convention:
The organizers did such a wonderful job creating and organizing this event. It was wonderful, but I still felt like I didn't get a chance to talk to most of the people there. Most of the conversations I had were with bloggers I was not familiar with, and I discovered some great new blogs!

If I had one wish, it would be to have part of it be more interactive. Looking around the room with so many accomplished bloggers, I wish there were a way for all of them to share their insights with the group. The panelists were great, and the questions were great, but I know there was so much knowledge in that room left unshared. There were so many bloggers I admired in the audience learning, but I also wanted to learn from them (and many of the organizers). Granted, I have no idea how to logistically incorporate small groups in such a large group, but as this event continues in future years, I hope different panelists are featured each year to help ensure diversity of experience.

Next year:
So many people were already making plans for next year. I finish graduate school in December, and I hope to be employed next May. As Mr. Nomadreader and I have no idea where we'll be working or living next May, it's hard to plan on attending. Going forward, I don't know that I'll need or want to attend BEA. The entire week was exhausting and chaotic. The pile of books is wonderful, but the two days passed so quickly and I was constantly feeling as though I was missing out. It was crowded, especially Wednesday, and I think it's fair to say some attendees had an excessive sense of entitlement. I am grateful for the connections I made with authors, bloggers and publishers, but I'm also cognizant of how little I was able to do in two days.

Were you at BEA and BBC? What were your thoughts?


Happy Sunday and happy reading!

As an Amazon affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you!

Comments

  1. Missed seeing you at the Book Blogger Con! Also agree with you about somehow incorporating more smaller "breakout" types of sessions into the event. I loved the panels and the speakers ... but wanted more interaction with those in the audience too.

    Hopefully we'll have a chance to meet at BBC next year, if it is held again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just saying on Twitter how I felt like there were so many people I wanted to meet and speak with but didn't get a chance to. I think your comments about interaction are good ones, in fact I believe I've heard that from others as well. Thank you for sharing them we'll definitely add them to our discussions for next year.

    Sounds like you've had a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm envious that you for to meet Rob Sheffield! I loved Love is a Mix Tape too, and I'm excited to hear he has a new one coming out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great wrap up! I don't see how that many people in one space could not be overwhelming! It's hard to take it all in! I still don't know how i am every going to be able to justify flying to NY for this but hopefully someday because it does seem like it would be useful. I wish I could somehow work it into a work trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was very overwhelming, wasn't it?! I'm sorry we didn't get to meet! I'm not a very good mingler, so I tend to just stay to myself, which isn't good in this type of environment!!! I hope you enjoy all your new books!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh jeez, I passed by copies of An Object of Beauty not once but twice, in an effort to be discerning/not overgreedy in my ARC acquisition. Now I kind of wish I would have grabbed one - I coulda given it to you!

    I almost did what you did with the booth numbers, but in a last minute stroke of genius got out my map and wrote names on it, too. Was soooo glad I did.

    I had a great time, but I definitely agree with you about the chaos. I wonder if returning to the three days of the exhibits being open next year will make it less crazy and a little more conducive to actually speaking to people a little more instead of just elbowing through packed booths of the ARC hungry. I definitely enjoyed the slightly less frantic Thursday more.

    Also wanted to say, it was great meeting you, if only briefly, at the BBC reception! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wish the conference had been a little deeper into the summer, after school was out....Perhaps I'd be able to make it.

    Itching to read Hector...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got a copy of the Steve Martin one on a whim and am totally overwhelmed with books. If you want, I'll send it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoyed meeting you at lunch at Book Blogger Con.

    (This is my personal blogger blog account, but I'm Jennifer from 5minutesforbooks, too)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great wrap-up post! I did the same thing you did with the booth numbers. Now we know...:)

    I somehow missed out on The Passage, but how cool that he knew who you were!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I see I'm not the only one who missed out on Justin Cronin. (Sorry Alexia!) I thought I was the only one.

    I wonder if it would be a good idea to have just an all blogger event during the week next year, and that way we'd get all get a chance to talk?

    My hubby and I were just looking at your banner on your homepage, and we can't place it. We've been there, and it is killing us. Was that picture taken in Germany?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson