young adult book review: Suite Scarlett by Maureen Johnson

Suite Scarlett
As many of you know, nomadreaerboy got me a Kindle for Christmas, and I love it. To resist the temptation to spend all of the Amazon giftcards my parents and brother bought me in the first five minutes, I started browsing the Kindle bestseller list for free books. I was delighted to see Maureen Johnson's Suite Scarlett available for free. I've read great reviews of it, but I hadn't gotten around to reading it yet. Having a free Kindle copy made it shoot to the top of my pile.

I started reading it on the train home from our Christmas vacation, and I instantly liked it. It's the story of Scarlett, a delightful teenager who lives in a New York City hotel. Her parents own the hotel, which has declined in prestige over the years. There's some teen angst: her friends are all off doing exciting things all summer, and she has to work at the hotel. There's some romance too. I adore New York City, and this story is a partial ode to the city. Most importantly though, it's laugh-out-loud funny. (There's a joke about That's So Raven fan fiction.) The story dances somewhere between the ridiculous and the real, and it works. The best news: Scarlett Fever, the sequel, comes out February 1. I ordered it before I finished Suite Scarlett. (See publishers, you can use the Kindle to sell more books. Normally, I would get these books from the library.)

You can also follow Maureen Johnson on Twitter.

Rating: 4 stars (out of 5)
Length: In print, it's 353 pages
Release date: it's out in paperback now
Source: I bought it on the Kindle for $0. Thanks, Point!


As an Amazon Associate, I will receive a small commission if you make a purchase through any of the above links. So far, I've made 28 cents. Thank you!

Comments

  1. I'm so glad you liked this! I bought this for my stepsister for her birthday and read a little bit this weekend when I was home and thought it was really good too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson